Whether you’re doing a full kitchen remodel or are just upgrading your countertops, there’s no doubt that a new countertop can change the look and feel of your home. At Doppler Construction, Inc., we understand that while you may want to upgrade your countertops, choosing the right countertop material might be easier said than done. We can guide you through the range of materials available and help you to select the right countertop choice for your preferences and budget.
Most Common Countertop Materials
There are ten common materials that are used for countertops, each with various benefits and drawbacks. These include–
- Granite – which is one of the most popular countertop materials when cost isn’t an issue.
- Soapstone – which is often considered an alternative to granite.
- Marble – often used in limited areas, like the kitchen island, because of its high cost and luxurious feeling.
- Quartz – looks like marble but is engineered stone.
- Solid-surface material – while this may not sound like a real option, trust us–“solid-surface material” is a real thing. This material is a blend of resins and acrylic particles that are pressed together.
- Ceramic tile – which can be used to create a unique style and give a space a creative feel.
- Laminate countertops – while once dismissed as too common or plain, today, laminate is available of hundreds of colors and patterns, which has led to a surge in its popularity.
- Wood countertops – always dreamed of having a large butcher block look in the home? If so, wood is a great option.
- Stainless steel – more common in industrial kitchens, stainless steel can be a fun option for a modern look, although there are some drawbacks.
- Concrete – last but not least, concrete is a good option for those who want a very unique look.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Various Materials – What You Should Consider
When you’re choosing countertops for your home, there are a few things you’ll want to nail down before making any decisions.
- Budget. The first thing to think about, as it may be your limiting factor, is cost. Materials like wood, granite, and marble are very expensive, although they do offer a lot of bang for their buck.
- Style. Of course, you want a countertop material that works with your home and your personal preferences, too. For example, if you have a farm-style home and kitchen, wood countertops may be great. If you have an older home that you’re trying to modernize, concrete could look really cool.
- Function and durability. Finally, we strongly encourage our customers to think beyond budget and style to the long-term durability and daily use of the countertops. For example, while stainless steel looks awesome, it scratches easily, which means it may not be a good option for those who are really busy in the kitchen. Consider your daily use of your countertops and how much time and energy you’re willing to put into maintenance.
Call Us Today to Learn More About Countertop Materials and Installation
At Doppler Construction, Inc., we specialize in kitchen remodels and can help you find the right countertop material, as well as handle 100 percent of the installation. To learn more about our kitchen remodels, countertop materials, and our company, reach us by phone or online at your convenience.